By Brad Kellar
ROYSE CITY — The Royse City Police Department investigated a Monday night online threat from a student focusing on Royse City High School.
Officials with the department and the school district posted a combined message for parents on their Facebook pagesTuesday morning, indicating there was a message posted on Snapchat overnight about school safety.
“At 8:20 a.m. RCHS identified the student who made the threat,” according to the post. “That student is not in class and does not have any weapon of any kind. That student will not return to class.
“The RCPD will conduct a formal police investigation and consequences will be administered. Students are safe and classes will begin on time.
“We know that this is a troubling matter and we are thankful for students who report anything that they deem as dangerous.”
Royse City ISD Communications Director Adi Bryant said the post was a photo.
“It was an image of a firearm.” Bryant said.
She added it was not immediately clear whether the student possessed the firearm personally or obtained the image from the internet or another source.
“It doesn’t matter,” Bryant said. “We are going to take extreme caution either way.”
Bryant said she was unaware the age of the student, or whether charges had been filed in the case as of Tuesday morning.
A representative with the Royse City PD referred to the earlier combined statement.