Quinlan Independent School District band programs are working to help those in need in the community with the “Pack the Band Truck” toiletry and toy drive, which runs through next week.
Starting more than a week ago, boxes were placed at multiple locations across Quinlan and West Tawakoni to collect donations.
The drive is being administered by the band programs at Ford High School and Thompson Middle School. Martin Filip, the director of fine arts and bands for QISD, said that this has been a few months in the making.
“We started a discussion in June about possible service projects we could do as a band,” Filip said. “We worked with several area businesses to participate and got those boxes out about a week and a half ago.”
Filip says the last day to donate at business locations is Dec. 5. Then the items will be taken to the I-Heart-Volunteer Banquet held by the Lake Tawakoni Regional Chamber of Commerce that same night to pack into the district’s band truck.
From Dec. 2-6, items can be taken to any campus in QISD. Then the band truck will visit all campuses on Dec. 6 to pick up the items.
On Dec. 7, Panther Band members will be at the Walmart and Brookshire’s in Quinlan to collect items and finish packing the truck from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The toiletries will be donated to Lake Area Shared Ministries while all toys will be donated to Hunt County Kids, Inc. on Dec. 9
Filip said that he hopes that this drive will bring out serving hearts in the community.
“I thought it was important for the band to be a part of this,” Filip said. “I’d like to see a good response and hopefully do this again next year.”
Emmaline Fulton, a senior French Horn player in the Ford High School Panther Band, said that she thought it was important to give to the community that supports the band so much.
“We wanted to give back to a community that gives so much to our band,” Fulton said. “We can give some help and love during this holiday season.”
Locations that will be accepting toiletry and toy donations until Dec. 5 are:
• Slaughter Insurance Agency, 8567 State Highway 34, Quinlan
• Dairy Queen, 8715 State Highway 34, Quinlan
• Quinlan City Hall, 105 W. Main St., Quinlan
• Dollar General, 101 State Highway 276, West Tawakoni
• Pizza Hut, 8755 State Highway 34, Quinlan
• D. Earls Tax Service, 8866 State Highway 34, Quinlan
• Soulman’s Bar-B-Que, 8962 State Highway 34, Quinlan
• Quinlan ISD Administration Building, 401 E. Richmond Avenue, Quinlan
Locations that will accept donations from Dec. 2-6:
• Cannon Elementary School, 315 State Highway 34-Business, Quinlan
• Butler Intermediate School, 410 Clardy Drive, Quinlan
• Thompson Middle School, 423 Panther Path, Quinlan
• Ford High School, 10064 State Highway 34-Business, Quinlan
Quinlan ISD Panther Band Members will also be at Walmart, 8801 State Highway 34, Quinlan, and Brookshire’s, 8934 State Highway 34-Business, Quinlan, on Dec. 7 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. to collect donations.