Sheriff's office badge

A Greenville man drowned in a local pond Tuesday evening, despite the efforts of multiple fire departments, law enforcement officials and paramedics.

Alvin Deantwone Jones, 30, was reported to be the victim in the incident.

The Hunt County Sheriff’s Office released a statement Wednesday morning detailing the response to the initial 911 call, indicating the sheriff’s office was dispatched at around 5 p.m. Tuesday to a request for an “agency assist” in the 2900 block of Interstate 30. 

Initial information was that a 30-year-old male had gone under water and had not resurfaced. The Campbell Volunteer Fire Department, Cash Volunteer Fire Department water rescue and American Medical Response were also dispatched.

Cash Fire Department Chief Ryan Biggers told the Herald-Banner Tuesday evening that Jones earlier had told others that he was planning to perform maintenance on a fountain at the location, and then he took out a canoe that later capsized.

Deputies Alan Sandlin, Jon Knudson and Jeff Money arrived on scene first and were informed that the victim was still under water. The deputies removed their gun belts and vests and entered the pond to attempt to locate the victim, according to the sheriff’s office.

The water was very deep and, eventually, the deputies had to be pulled from the pond by a rope. 

Sgt. Mike Radney arrived and immediately took over the search. Cash Water Rescue, Campbell VFD and AMR also arrived and assisted in the search until the subject was located under water. 

Jones was removed from the water and life-saving measures began immediately, the sheriff said. AMR transported him to Hunt Regional Medical Center, where he was pronounced deceased a short time later. Justice of the Peace Kerry Crews conducted the inquest and ordered an autopsy.

“My thoughts and prayers are with Mr. Jones’ family today,” Sheriff Randy Meeks said in a statement. “This young man had his whole life ahead of him. 

“I commend Deputies Sandlin, Knudson, Money, Valenzuela and Sgt. Radney because they disregarded their own safety and did everything humanly possible to find Mr. Jones,” the sheriff continued. “Cash water Rescue, AMR and Campbell VFD also worked very hard to save Mr. Jones, and I ask that you also keep all the first responders in your prayers.”

Memorial service information for Mr. Jones was not yet available as of press time Wednesday evening.