For the second time in just a few weeks, downtown Greenville suffered a disaster as a Saturday afternoon fire destroyed an antique store.

The building which contained Muzzy’s Alley at 2406 Lee Street, at the corner of Stuart Street, was gutted in a spectacular blaze. The initial calls came in at around 2:10 p.m. Saturday and within moments flame and thick smoke could be seen bursting from the top of the structure.

The smoke filled the downtown area and could be seen for miles.

Units with the Greenville Fire Department expanded the safety perimeter around the fire from Johnson Street to Stonewall Street as the winds began shifting out of the north at close to 30 mph, sparking fears the fire would spread to nearby buildings.

The fire was contained in about an hour, but units were still on scene mopping up two hours later.

There were no injuries reported as a result of the fire, although the store itself appeared to have been totaled as it lost its roof and at least one wall.

As of 4:30 p.m. Saturday, the Greenville Fire-Rescue Department has closed the following streets downtown: Stuart at Jordan, Jordan at Gordon, Washington at Stonewall, and Johnson at Lee. The department is requesting that citizens avoid this area. 

There were no immediate reports of what may have caused the fire, which followed a wind storm on the evening of June 19 which heavily damaged several buildings downtown and elsewhere across Greenville

Recommended for you