Personnel with the Greenville Fire Department, Texas Department of Transportation and Department of Public Safety surveyed the damage following a one vehicle accident involving a semi-truck on Interstate 30 between Farm Road 1570 and Highway 34 west of Greenville Wednesday afternoon. A strong line of thunderstorms with heavy winds uprooted multiple power lines, blew down fences and knocked out power to traffic signals and hundreds of houses Wednesday.

A strong line of thunderstorms packing heavy wind and torrential downpours slowed traffic and caused damage in southern Greenville and Hunt County Wednesday afternoon.

According to Jimmy Dickey of Greenville Electric Utility Service (GEUS), crews began responding to reports of downed power lines on Farm-to-Market Road 1570 near Old Mill Road at approximately 3:15 p.m.

“We heard the storm come in and the wind had a suction on the door,” said Rhonda Kimble, who was at Crosspoint Fellowship on F.M. 1570. “We had kids in here and we all ran into the hallway.”

Following the storms, more than 588 homes in southern Greenville were without power. Traffic signals at Wesley Street and Traders Road and F.M. 1570 and Highway 34. Homeowners and law enforcement personnel could be seen surveying damage along F.M. 1570.

GEUS crews had restored power to some of the homes by 4 p.m.

However, some businesses along Wesley Street and Interstate 30 remained without power.

Area first responders were also busy with multiple reports of power lines down on F.M. 36 near Caddo Mills and some areas near Quinlan. It was also reported that the roof was blown off a house near F.M. 1565.

The weather was also a factor in at least two accidents on Interstate 30, slowing traffic to a near halt in some areas. Personnel with the Texas Department of Public Safety, Department of Transportation, Greenville fire and police departments and Hunt Regional EMS responded to a one-vehicle accident involving a semi-truck laying on its side on a concrete barrier in the median.

Motorcyclists could be seen seeking shelter under the Interstate 30 overpass near FM 1570. Several signs along the frontage roads were blown over.

Eastbound traffic again came to a near halt following an accident near F.M. 1903 shortly after 5 p.m., with traffic backed up, reportedly, to Royse City.