The Herald Banner, Greenville, TX

July 23, 2013

Grand jury starting new term Friday

Herald-Banner Staff

GREENVILLE — The latest edition of the Hunt County grand jury begins its service Friday, as local prosecutors are scheduled to present evidence in felony cases for consideration by the 354th District Court.

The grand jury, which was seated earlier this month, will begin a six-month term running through December, with hundreds of new indictments expected to be presented during the period.

The previous grand jury, which served the 196th District Court, wrapped up its term in June after returning more than 385 indictments.

The specifics of the cases which are presented to the grand jury are kept confidential until such time as the panel decides whether or not to issue indictments.

The grand jury can either issue indictments — or “true bills” — or determine its investigation did not find sufficient evidence to issue an indictment, in which case a “no bill” is issued.

The indictments are issued open and made public, or are issued sealed if the subject named in the indictment has yet to be arrested and arraigned on the pending charge.

Two individuals, being held in local custody in connection with reported armed robberies at Greenville convenience stores, are likely to be subjects of potential indictments during the current grand jury’s term:

— Mark Anthony Young remains in the Hunt County Jail in lieu of $150,000 bond, charged with one count of aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon. Young, formerly of Greenville, was charged with arson fires 17 years ago at two of the city’s predominantly black churches.

Young, 35, whose most recent address was in Sherman, was arrested following a reported hold-up on the morning of May 16 at a store at 1700 Stonewall Street in Greenville, during which he was alleged to have displayed a weapon and demanded money.

— Timothy Wayne Fortune, Jr., 23, of Greenville, remains at the Hunt County Jail in lieu of $500,000 bond on one count of aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon in connection with the an incident on the afternoon of July 11 at a store at 3805 Lee Street. Fortune was reported by the Greenville Police Department to have been identified in a video as the suspect who entered the store, displayed a rifle and demanded money. Fortune was arrested the next day.