The Herald Banner, Greenville, TX

November 4, 2012

Denison pulls away from Greenville Lions, 28-16


Herald-Banner Staff

GREENVILLE —   DENISON — Denard Whitfield rushed for 185 yards and three touchdowns to power Denison to a 28-16 District 13-4A football victory over the Greenville Lions on Friday night.

  Whitfield scores on bursts of 3, 2 and 2 yards at Munson Stadium as the Yellow Jackets improved their season record to 2-7 while the Lions remained winless for the season at 0-9 with their 29th straight loss.

  Denison wound up with a 376-282 advantage in total yards.

  Layne White of Greenville saved a touchdown on the opening kickoff as he ran Whitfield down from behind at the Greenville 31 following a 54-yard return. White made another big play on fourth down, knocking down a Denison pass attempt from the Greenville 28.

  Greenville followed that defensive stand with a drive to the Yellow Jacket 7-yard line. Running back DaMarcus Bridges raced for 12 yards on the first play. Running back Tyler Matthews also dashed for an 8-yard gain. Quarterback Marquist Davis fired a 9-yard completion to Bridges and then set up Matthews for a 31-yard run with an option pitch. Denison’s defense dug in and forced the Lions to settle for Kellen Cox’s 24-yard field goal with 6:13 left in the first quarter.

  Denison threatened on its next possession, moving the ball from its 29 to the Lion 37 but defender Chase Vanzura turned the Yellow Jackets back with a fumble recovery at the Greenville 37.

Greenville got backed up by a fumble and an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and Denison started its next drive on the Greenville 32 following a 27-yard punt. Denison covered the short distance in six plays, all of them runs by Whitfield. Whitfield followed the blocking of 300-pound right guard Blake Cunningham in for a 3-yard touchdown run with 38 seconds left in the first period. Jake Walters converted.

  Greenville answered with a drive from its 25 to the Denison 15 but lost ground and Cox’s 37-yard field goal attempt landed well short.

  Denison threatened again but Greenville defensive back Eric Quiroz picked off a pass at his 10 and returned the interception 69 yards to the Denison 21. The Lions scored in five plays, including an 18-yard strike from Davis to Michael Hernandez and then a 12-yard touchdown pass from Davis to Quiroz in the left corner of the end zone. Cox’s kick gave the Lions a 10-7 lead with 3:26 left before halftime.

  Denison countered with a 66-yard, 11-play drive. Whitfield ran for gains of 23, 6, 5, 5 and 2 yards on the drive with the 2-yarder counting for the touchdown with 19 seconds left before the half. Walters’ kick gave Denison a 14-10 halftime lead.

  A Greenville fumble recovered by Denison’s Josh Henry at the Greenville 32 set up Denison’s next touchdown. Whitfield carried the ball on four of the five plays, runs of 22, 2, 6 and 2 yards.

  Greenville answered the 21-10 deficit with a 73-yard, six-play drive. Davis ran for gains of 12, 4 and 4 yards and Matthews dashed for 13 yards. Davis capped the drive with a 17-yard touchdown run on a quarterback draw, pulling the Lions to within 21-16 with 5:32 left in the third quarter.

  Denison padded its final margin with an 89-yard, 16-play drive. Denison quarterback Clifton Hines completed the drive with a 19-yard touchdown pass to Walters with 10:45 left.

  Davis wound up with 76 yards rushing on 22 carries and was 9-of-18 passing for 89 yards.

Matthews led the Lion rushers with 93 yards on 10 carries and Bridges finished with 24 yards on two rushes.

Tyler Street 60,

Greenville Christian 28

  Jordaan Coleman ran for five touchdowns and threw for another to lead Dallas Tyler Street Christian to a 60-28 six-man football victory over Greenville Christian on Saturday.

  Coleman, who finished with 189 yards on 12 carries, scored on bursts of 20, 59, 34, 14 and 26 yards. Coleman also fired a 42-yard touchdown pass to Demetrius Bolton, intercepted a pass on defense and produced four touchbacks on kickoffs.

  Blake Terry also ran for a 44-yard touchdown and returned an interception 14 yards for a touchdown as Tyler Street evened its season record at 4-4. Terry finished with 142 yards on 17 carries.

GCS dropped to 1-8 for the season though the Eagles were only outgained 471-401 in total yardage.

  “We did a lot of good things,” said GCS coach David Wombaker. “We dropped a lot of passes. It goes back to blocking and tackling and catching. You’ve got to catch the ball.”

  GCS receivers dropped three possible touchdown passes but still the Eagles finished with 215 yards passing.

  GCS sophomore David Chandler was 6-of-14 passing for 104 yards, including a 56-yard touchdown pass to Will Martens. Chandler also rushed for 98 yards on 13 carries, scoring on runs of 1, 4 and 16 yards.

  Martens was 10-of-20 passing for 111 yards and rushed for 92 yards on 13 carries.

Luke Johnson (4-67) and Austin Bratton (4-40) led the GCS receivers.

Martens and Andy Henderson intercepted passes to spark the GCS defense and Michael Lutz recovered a fumble.

  “Austin Bratton had a great game,” said Wombaker. “You always expect Will and David to have good games.”

  Wombaker said the Eagles practiced with only nine players this week due to injuries.

  “We saw some people grow up this week,” he said.

  The Eagles will close out their season at home on Saturday against Watauga Harvest.

Bonham 68,

Community 38

  NEVADA — The visiting Bonham Purple Warriors clinched a playoff spot with a 68-38 victory over the Community Braves in a District 13-3A matchup on Friday night.

  The Warriors powered their way to the win behind 469 rushing yards. Bonham quarterback Dra Smith led all rushers with 219 yards on 24 carries and four touchdowns.

  For the Community Braves, sophomore quarterback Jordan Graham was 22-of-42 passing attempts for 302 yards with one touchdown and three interceptions.

  Braves’ junior running back, Corey Rogers, added 109 yards on 20 carries and three touchdowns.   Colton Hutchison led the Brave receivers with six receptions for 83 yards and one touchdown.

Community falls to 4-5 on the season and 0-3 in district. Bonham is now 3-7 on the season.

Crandall 34,

Rains 33

  CRANDALL — Scoring the most points in a game they’ve scored all year, including two safeties, the Rains Wildcats were just edged by the Crandall Pirates Friday night, 34-33.

  The Wildcats led from late in the first quarter for until the last minute and a half of the game in an emotion-filled game which included penalties and ejections.

  Alert and intense plays by Jesse Hudson, Dustin Frye, and Markell Spigner, who each scored a touchdown in the game, helped spark the Wildcats.

  Crandall got on board on its opening drive for a 7-0 lead.

  Rains struggled on their first two possessions, but when Crandall muffed a punt, Wildcat Gannon   Brown recovered the ball at the Crandall 19-yard line. Four plays later, Frye scored on an 8-yard run. Rogelio Perez added the point after kick, making the score 7-7.

  On the next possession, the Wildcats held Crandall, forcing a punt. The snap sailed out of the end zone, giving Rains a safety and a 9-7 lead, with on 1:51 remaining the first quarter.

  In the second quarter, Rains extended its lead when Spigner scored on an 11-yard run. Frye converted on the two-points, making the score 17-7.

  Just before half, Crandall drove 70 yards and scored with 55 seconds left.

  Rains took the 17-14 lead into the half.

  Emotions led to ten personal foul penalties and numerous ejections in the second half of play and both teams traded drives.

  Rains took the opening kick-off of the second half and drove to the Crandall one-yard line. The attempt to score ended in a fumble, and Crandall recovered at the one. The very next play, Wildcat   Jesse Hudson tackled a Crandall player in the end zone for a safety, and Rains upped its lead to 19-14.

  Rains upped it again, when it took the free kick and drove 47 yards for a 1-yard Hudson touchdown.   The PAT was no good, but Rains had a 25-14 lead with 6:10 lef in the third.

Crandall followed with an 80-yard scoring drive of its own, but the try for two failed, but the Pirates had cut the Rains lead by six.

  On the following kick-off, Frye raced 90 yards to paydirt for Rains. Hudson then turned a blocked PAT into a two-point conversion run, and the Wildcats were ahead 33-20, with 3:21 left to play in the third.

But with 32 seconds on the third period clock, Crandall drove 86 yards in seven plays to pull within six.

Both defenses stiffened in the fourth quarter.

  With 5:12 on the clock, Rains took possession, but fumbled on the second play. Crandall recovered and drove to the Rains 3-yard line for first-and-goal. On fourth-and-goal Crandall scored on a passing play and kicked the PAT, making the score 34-33, with 1:35 to play in the game.

  Rains threatened an answer, when quarterback Chris Wilson connected on a 37-yard pass to Jared Barnett. But on the very next play, Wilson was knocked out of the game, and Crandall stopped Rains.

Rains, 0-9, closes out the season at home against Wills Point.

Lucas Lovejoy 49,

Royse City 28

  ROYSE CITY — The Lovejoy Leopards (9-0, 6-0) kept their unblemished season and district record perfect with a 49-28 win over the Royse City Bulldogs (1-8, 1-6) Friday night at Royse City ISD Stadium.

  The Bulldogs coughed up three fumbles and lost all three and allowed the Leopards to intercept three Royse City passes to keep plenty of points on the board for the win.

  The win also sets up a Lovejoy showdown with Wylie East next Friday night to determine the District 13-4A championship.

  Royse City took the opening kick-off and drove the length of the field, only to turn the ball over before scoring.

  Both teams racked up plenty of offense in the game. Lovejoy wound up the night with a total of 425 yards and Royse City totaled 411 yards.

Lovejoy freshman quarterback Bowman Sells completed 18-of-24 passes for 275 yards and four touchdowns.  Bulldog junior quarterback Jackson Watts compiled 210 yards passing while completing 15-of-22 passes and two touchdowns.

  All of Royse City’s scoring came in the second half. Michael Webb and Jake Glisch caught a touchdown pass each, and running back Alex Ramsey ran in two touchdowns to cap off the Bulldogs scoring.

  The highlight of the first half was a 53-yard field goal by Lovejoy’s Mick Ellis in the first quarter, which was also the only scoring in the opening period.

  Lovejoy then capitalized on one Bulldog fumble to score in the second period and Sells completed two touchdown passes to give the Leopards a 22-0 halftime lead.

  Cullon Oldham-Greene caught a touchdown pass to open the second half and Stephen Bennett picked up a Bulldog fumble and raced 42 yards for a touchdown. Another touchdown pass by Sells to Justice Luce gave Lovejoy a 42-0 lead in the third quarter before the Bulldogs went on their scoring spree.

  Royse City will travel to Wylie for their final game of the year next Friday night.  Kickoff is 7:30.

Commerce 36,

Farmersville 28

  COMMERCE — The Commerce Tigers (5-4) got off to a fast start, but were unable to maintain momentum due to a rash of penalties and a strong Farmersville rushing attack as they lost 36-28 on Friday night.

  Commerce got the ball first, and junior quarterback Sam Wells connected with senior wide receiver Buck Wilson for a 25-yard pass, but Farmersville quickly got the ball. Senior defensive back Alex Lee intercepted a pass from Wells, and returned it to the Tigers’ 31. Not to be outdone, Commerce junior linebacker Isaiah Martinez blocked the Farmers’ punt and senior wide receiver Daryian Hubbard returned it 50 yards for the touchdown. After a missed extra point attempt, the Tigers led 6-0.

  After a strong defensive stand that saw senior defensive lineman Blake Madewell tackle the Farmersville quarterback Cole Anderson twice in the backfield, Wells scored on a 1-yard plunge. After a successful two-point attempt by Hubbard, the Tigers led 14-0.

  The Farmers answered right back with a 75-yard kickoff return by junior running back Andrew Simons. Wilson blocked the ensuing PAT, so the score stood at 14-6.

  Farmersville pushed the ball down the field on the ground, punctuated by a 23-yard scamper by senior running back J.D. Davis and a successful two-point conversion to tie the game at 14 all. The Tigers took the ball away on Farmersville’s next possession, thanks to a fumble recovery by junior linebacker J.J. Prothro. But a myriad of dead-ball penalties killed the Tigers’ momentum, and they turned the ball over on downs for the second straight possession.

  Davis scored again for Farmersville on a 37-yard run as the Farmers continued to find success through their running game. The two-point conversion was good, and Farmersville led 22-14 at the half.

  Prothro recovered a fumble on the second half kickoff, and the Tigers began with the ball on the Farmers’ 22 yard line. Senior running back Kalyn Smith capitalized on the turnover with an 8-yard touchdown run, but the two-point attempt was no good as Commerce cut the Farmersville lead to two.

Farmersville forced a Wells fumble on the Tigers’ next possession to get the ball on the Commerce 18. The Farmers added their third touchdown on the ground from one yard out, and led 28-20 after a failed two-point attempt. Commerce pushed into Farmers’ territory quickly when Wilson broke off a 47-yard run, but the Tigers turned the ball over on downs for the fourth time.

  Sophomore running back Darren Pennington scored on the ground for the Farmers to push their lead to 36-20. Wells dashed for a first down on fourth-and-8 for the first down, and the Tigers scored for the second time in the second half as Wells bulled his way over Farmersville defenders for a 7-yard touchdown. Wells completed a pass to Wilson for the two points, and Commerce trailed 36-28 with 3:32 left to play.

  Farmersville recovered the ensuing onside kick, and ran the clock out with a series of short gains on the ground. Smith finished with 60 yards rushing and one touchdown, Wells finished the game 8-20 passing for 73 yards and one interception. He had two touchdowns on the ground.

  Farmersville improved to 5-4 for the season.

Fruitvale 62,

Campbell 14

  FRUITVALE — With a loss to Fruitvale Friday night, the young Campbell Indians will now take a 2-7 record to the Parent Night game next week, which will close the team’s inaugural year of football.

  Home team Fruitvale, which has averaged 75 points per game in its last three games, beat Campbell 62-14.

  Campbell running back Daniel Mothersell carried the ball 10 times for 61 yards and two touchdowns.

  Billy Rios carried six times for 49 yards and had seven tackles. Shon Rios had five catches for 37 yards and had seven tackles.

  Junior Vasquez notched seven tackles and nabbed a fumble and an interception.

Lone Oak 60,

Grand Saline 14

  LONE OAK — The Buffaloes bettered their district mark to 3-2 Friday night at Buffalo Stadium with a 60-14 shellacking of the Grand Saline Indians. After forcing the Indians to punt, the Buffaloes scored 27 unanswered points.

  The Buffs went to their running game early, rushing for 44 yards on their first drive on strong running by Ty Tolleson and Kasen Freelen. Kyle Crow then hit Tolleson on a 20-yard touchdown pass for the first score of the night.

  An interception by Jace Hart on the Grand Saline’s next possession gave the Buffaloes the ball back on their own 49-yard line. Trent Sikes broke through for a 35-yard gain on the next play, setting up Crow for an 8-yard touchdown pass, this time to Freelen, making the score 14-0.

  Crow connected with Tolleson again as the first quarter clock ran out on a 20-yard strike. The score was 20-0.

  Tolleson intercepted Indian quarterback Austin Truett with 9:54 left in the half. He then made the score 27-0 on a 27-yard run for his third touchdown of the night.

Grand Saline finally reached pay dirt with 3:53 left in the half when Torrey Ollison ran in from the 23 yards out. The PAT split the uprights making the score 27-7.

  On the ensuing kickoff, Tolleson returned the ball 80 yards to the Buffalo 11-yard line. Freelen finished up the drive on a 1-yard touchdown run and Cody Harding kicked the PAT.

  The Buffalo defense forced the ball over on downs on the next series and five plays later, Tyler McClain took it in from the 10-yard line. The score at halftime was 40-7.

  The Buffaloes received the second half kick-off and picked up where they left off, driving 56 yards on five plays. Freelen drove the ball in from four yards out for his third touchdown of the night.

  With 3:48 left in the 3rd, Crow hit Chawn Cooper over the middle for a 28-yard touchdown, pushing the score to 54-7.

  Lone Oak’s Trent Sikes, who had kickoff returns of 64 yards and 66 yards on the night, set the Buffaloes up for their final score with 3:00 left in the third. Jade Seiber rushed in from the one making the score 60-7.

  The Indians showed they still had some fight left when Truett ran in from the 20-yard line with 4:49 left in the game.

  Crow was 8-for-12 for 138 yards and four touchdowns. Tolleson rushed for 113 yards on 10 carries and three touchdowns. Jace Hart led the Lone Oak defense with eight tackles and an interception.

  The Buffaloes (6-3, 3-2) will have to defeat Eustace next week in the final game of the season to avoid missing the playoffs for the first time in seven years.

Leonard 48,

Tom Bean 21

  LEONARD — The Leonard Tigers piled up 430 yards rushing en route to a 48-21 victory over the Tom Bean Tomcats on Friday night.

  Dylan Monk opened the scoring for Leonard with a 6-yard touchdown run. Tom Bean blocked the extra-point attempt and ran in back for two points. This gave Leonard an odd looking 6-2 lead.

Tom Bean countered with a Cody Miller 3-yard scoring run but the pass for two failed and it left the score 8-6.

  Blake Hicks next connected with Austin Kitchens on a 13-yard scoring pass. Hicks ran 63 yards to set up the score. Ty McKinney’s run for two failed, and Leonard led 12-8 with 11:55 remaining in the half.

After a long drive, Hicks scored from one yard out. McKinney kicked the point-after to make score 19-8.

  The Tomcats Cody Miller scored from eight yards out, but the run for two failed.

Ryan Nixon took the ball in from the 12-yard line after Tyler “Turbo” Turner returned the kickoff to the Tom Bean 32. Monk ran it in for the two extra-points to give the Tigers a 27-14 halftime lead.

  Hicks and Monk scored on runs of 69 and seven yards respectively, and McKinney kicked his 23rd consecutive extra-point of the season, to give Leonard a 42-14 advantage going into the final period.

Nixon finalized the scoring for Leonard with a 58-yard run.

  Tom Bean’s Parrish scored from three yards out to give Tomcats their final score.

  With four minutes left in the contest, Tiger McKinney’s 45-yard field-goal fell just inches short.

  Hicks finished the night with 173 yards rushing, Nixon with 104 and Monk with 98.

  Leonard, now 6-2-1, will travel to S&S next week for its final game.

Wolfe City 42,

Boles 27

  QUINLAN — The Wolfe City Wolves evened their record at 5-5 overall and improved to 3-1 in District 8-A football with a 42-27 win over the Boles Hornets at Kevin Kiper Stadium Friday night.

  Boles falls to 5-4 overall and 1-2 in district.

  It was senior night at Boles and the Hornets honored football players Tommy Allen, Hunter Jordan, Blake Matthews, Caleb Samples, Jake Shinn, Justin Talley, Travis Tidwell and Carl Whitaker.

  After a scoreless first quarter, the Wolves struck quickly in the second quarter as quarterback Brandon Fisk completed a 43-yard touchdown pass to Malik Gaffney, putting Wolfe City in front, 6-0.

  After Boles fumbled the ball on its next possession, Wolfe City took over at the Hornet 37-yard line. Fisk threw 36 yards to Gaffney to set up Darrell Wooten’s 1-yard touchdown run. Justin Wilkinson ran it in for two points, giving Wolfe City a 14-point advantage.

  Boles finally answered back on its next possession as quarterback Hunter Jordan threw a 40-yard touchdown pass to Devan Harris.

  Wolfe City struck again with 3:11 left before halftime as Wilkinson rushed 33 yards for a touchdown and then ran in for the two-point conversion, making it 22-7 Wolfe City.

  Boles answered back as the Hornets started a drive on their own 46-yard line with a 31-yard completion from Jordan to Harris. Jordan and Harris took turns running with the football before Cameron Walker ran it in from two yards out and Avery Christensen ran in the two-point conversion to cut the halftime gap to 22-15.

  The visitors would not let up on this night as with 7:53 left in the third Fisk fired a 36-yard touchdown pass to Cody Harbin, but the two-point conversion failed, leaving the Wolves ahead 28-15.

  The Hornets struck with 1:48 left in the third as Jordan connected with Ross Bostick for a 40-yard touchdown making it a seven-point game.

  Boles capitalized on an errant punt snap and Bailey Isom recovered for a Hornet touchdown, cutting the Wolves’ lead to one at 28-27.

  After a couple of turnovers by both teams, Wolfe City drove from its own 15-yard line to the Boles 38-yard line, where Fisk rushed 37 to the 1-yard line. Wooten was stopped short on first down then Fisk carried it over for the touchdown and the Wolves had a 36-27 advantage which they would not give up.

  Boles turned the ball over on the next series with an interception to Cody Harbin. Wilkinson then raced 58 yards to set up Wooten’s 27-yard clinching touchdown with 3:05 remaining.