Living room or great room that opens to outdoors? Jackpot!
Hollywood home for sale offers easy access to patio.
Some of the most valuable outdoor spaces are in areas accessible directly from the best parts of the home, usually the kitchen/living area or the great room/media room. These are the places where people tend to hang out the most. Having an outdoor space directly off a communal, desirable part of the house serves as an extension of that living area. And if designed correctly, it will give the inside living area the appearance of more square feet.
If you're selling and you have this outdoor real estate gold, focus your staging/prepping time on it. Much like giving the front of the home curb appeal, pay extra attention to the outdoor spaces. People love to entertain, especially during the warmer months. So it’s important to show potential buyers how they can live and use this space.
How to highlight your outdoor space
Dallas home for sale features an inviting back patio.
Here are a few things sellers can do to bring out the best in your outdoor space:
- Add comfortable-looking, inviting outdoor furniture.
- Is your stereo system hooked up to outdoor speakers? If so, be sure to point this out. Play music (softly) outdoors during an open house.
- Have a backyard grill? Make sure it’s clean and prominently displayed.
- Landscape. Plant flowers, pull weeds, thin out any scraggly trees and bushes, and make sure the grass is freshly mowed.
- Consider low-maintenance lawn alternatives. Turf grasses and ground covers can be an easy way to make your lawn more attractive. They’re low-maintenance as well, which many busy professionals today will appreciate. And lawn alternatives can be, ironically, "green" — eliminating the need for herbicides and gas-powered lawnmowers.