The Herald Banner, Greenville, TX

March 3, 2013

Another day in the life

Herald-Banner Staff

— While no two of my work days are exactly alike, it is one of the reasons why I love my job and my life, I can usually depend on certain things happening during the period between when I first open my eyes in the morning and when I finally crawl back into bed at night.

— My day often begins in the pre-dawn hours, when my alarm clock goes off at the time which my wife Vida insisted I set it the night before so that she could get up and going.

 Now, regular readers know I love Vida with all my heart, but when that alarm goes off at 5 a.m., that level of affection tends to diminish a bit, especially when she instantly tells me, “I just need five more minutes!”

Sure dear, no problem ...

— Eventually, Vida will make her way downstairs to join her Aunt Pam and welcome the arrivals for her daycare operation.

During this arrival process, Farnsworth, our outdoor attack cat, has made it a habit to sneak in on cold mornings and to rush upstairs and jump in our bed to say hello. I am then required to take Farnsworth back downstairs and show him the door.

— I am greeted about 6:30 a.m. by our son Jason, 6, who lets me know that he did not have any nightmares the night before, then gives me a hug and lets me go back to sleep.

Vida meanwhile will be rounding up the children which she transports to school in the mornings, although our daughter Jaylynn, 13, is sometimes recruited to wake me up and ask where I left the keys the night before or see if I have any spare change.

— I struggle to earn back the slumber I misplaced during these morning rituals and usually awaken about 8:30 a.m., when I meet Bosco, our oversized Schnauzer, still asleep at the top of the stairs. A gentle nudge is all that is needed to get Bosco to trot down the stairs, where Millie, our Spaniel-Mix Dust mop with Legs, is waiting to say good morning.

— I complete the task of shaving and showering and then work my way through the gauntlet of daycare kids, wondering for the millionth time how Vida can retain her sanity and also realizing how lucky these children are to have someone so devoted and caring to watch over them.

A quick kiss for Vida, and a flurry of fist bumps and high fives for the toddlers, and I am off to the newspaper, where the first order of business each morning is to grab a cup of coffee.

— I spend the next hour or so checking emails and voice mails, updating the Herald-Banner Facebook page and scanning the news before scheduling an agenda for myself. Of course, the list of stories I plan on writing each morning rarely matches up to the list I complete each evening, as there is always a story or two which crops up that I had not planned on.

— I finally make it back to the Kellar Estate, where it is time to cook/buy/eat dinner, get Jason bathed and in pajamas, walk the dogs, watch a little television and then cuddle in bed with Vida, where we compare notes on our days right before my loving wife reminds me to set the clock, this time for 4 a.m., as she needs to get up extra early to start her day.

Sure dear, no problem ...

Just a thought ...

Kellar is a Herald-Banner staff writer