The Herald Banner, Greenville, TX

May 10, 2014

Flood waters keep roads closed

Herald-Banner Staff

GREENVILLE — Flood waters left over from Thursday’s heavy rains left multiple roads closed Friday morning, while giving a boost to drought-parched Lake Tawakoni.

The floods also brought out the anglers who found great success when they cast lines from a busy Greenville road.

Majors Field, the City of Greenville Municipal Airport, recorded 5.52 inches of rain between 9:15 a.m. and 7:55 p.m. Thursday. The National Weather Service estimated that most locations in Hunt County received at least five inches of rain during the day, with some spots in the northwest corner of the county receiving more than seven inches.

Hunt County remained under a flood warning as of Friday evening, as the Cowleech Fork of the Sabine River near Greenville and the South Fork of the Sabine River near Quinlan had exceeded their banks overnight.

Portions of several streets in Greenville were closed due to the floods Friday morning. The north ends of Wesley and Stonewall Streets, and the east end of Sockwell Boulevard, as well all three road’s intersections with Dalton and Wright streets, remained under water.

On the other hand, the fishing in the flood waters along the east end of Lee Street/Spur 302, near the intersection of FM 499/Forester Street, was great Friday morning, with several people catching big strings of channel catfish using chicken gizzards for bait.

Overflow from an adjacent lake mixed with gushing flood water coming from underneath Lee Street to create a hot spot for fishing.

Eric Robinson of Greenville had a cooler full of catfish by mid-morning and said it had been a long time since enough rain had fallen locally to create the fishing hole.

“It doesn’t happen often, but when it does you’ve got to take advantage of it,” he explained.

Lake Tawakoni benefited from the rainfall as well. The reservoir had risen from 427.42 feet Friday morning to 428.2 feet by the evening, thanks to the flows from the Sabine River.

The National Weather Service forecast was calling for another chance of thunderstorms in the area Sunday night into Monday morning.