By BRAD KELLAR
Firefighters from across Hunt County battled a huge Thursday morning fire northwest of Commerce.
The blaze on County Road 4506 destroyed a home and claimed dozens of acres of land, although no one was injured, according to Fire Marshal Richard Hill.
“It started with a structure fire,” Hill said. “We believe it was started by a space heater.”
Hill said units with the Commerce, Merit, Wolfe City, Campbell and Greenville fire departments responded to the scene, alongside personnel from the Texas Forest Service.
The fire was first reported at around 11:30 a.m. Thursday inside the two story home and quickly spread to the dry grass on the surrounding property.
“About 30 acres burned,” Hill said.
No one was home at the time of the fire, Hill said.
Multiple fire departments were also involved in a fire later in the day Thursday.
Units from the Caddo Mills fire department responded at around 2:30 p.m. Thursday to a grass fire with structures threatened at FM 1565 and County Road 2624. Units from the Union Valley, Cash and Josephine fire departments were dispatched for mutual aid.
Hunt County was listed under “high” fire danger conditions Thursday by the Texas Forest Service, due to escalating drought conditions and gusty winds.
Hunt County is not currently under a burn ban, although there are still certain restrictions to outdoor burning. The burning of household trash is only permissible during daylight hours and the wind speed cannot be greater then 23 mph. Natural materials, such as brush and limbs can be burned, but not treated or painted lumber. No prohibited material — including but not limited to: rubber, plastics, wire, insulation and furniture — can be burned, and a responsible person must be present during active burning.