The Herald Banner, Greenville, TX

July 14, 2013

City seeking federal law enforcement grant

By BRAD KELLAR
Herald-Banner Staff

GREENVILLE — A federal law enforcement grant will be used to buy equipment for one Greenville Police Department patrol vehicle and laptop computers for the Hunt County Sheriff’s Office.

Greenville Police Chief Daniel Busken told the City Council last week that the city has been awarded funding through the Edward Byrne Justice Assistance Grant (JAG), which is administered through the Bureau of Justice Assistance.

“The City of Greenville has been a recipient of the JAG funds on numerous occasions,” Busken said. “Hunt County is a disparate partner of the City of Greenville. It is the City of Greenville’s responsibility, in this particular grant, to allocate funds to the Hunt County Sheriff’s Office.”

The City of Greenville is to receive $14,815.00 this year. The city would claim 60 percent of the funds, or $8,889, with the remaining 40 percent, $5,926.00, allocated to the Hunt County Sheriff’s Office.

“The Greenville Police Department intends to purchase equipment that is necessary to outfit a patrol vehicle so that it is equipped to enforce traffic laws, make traffic stops and record the contacts as required by law,” Busken said. “Hunt County is requesting their allocation to pay for laptop computers for their sworn personnel.”

Under the terms of the grant, the equipment the police department intended to purchase includes a Watch Guard in-car camera, Whelen overhead light bar, graphics/vehicle striping, a push bumper  and a siren. Busken said the cost of the equipment will exceed the amount of the grant, but the funds would be used to pay one-half of the cost to equip one vehicle, with the remainder coming from funds approve as part of the certificates of obligation approved by the Council in February.