To the editor:
Mr. Lowry’s letter in Sunday’s Herald-Banner was filled with Republican/Conservative mythology. His opinions relating to Planned Parenthood and gas prices are simply wrong. His outrage is misplaced and uninformed.
Only 3 percent of Planned Parenthoods services are abortion-related. Federal tax dollars are used for the other 97 percent of services Planned Parenthood provides to working women in our country. It provides critically needed services for women without health care in the United States.
There are two factors that are driving up the price of crude oil. The first is oil speculators. The second is Iran and the instability caused by ill-advised and uninformed Republican rhetoric.
In fact, oil consumption in the United States is down and production is at an eight-year high. In fact, we imported less than 50 percent of our oil needs last year. This is a 30-year low in oil importation.
We are entitled to our opinions, but we should at least use the facts in discussing any issue.
- Letters to the editor
Health services kudos
I am writing this letter of appreciation because two weeks ago I had my second knee replacement surgery within six months.
Kill the YMCA project
In addressing the city council on July 8th, YMCA board president Andy Bench made a bold and highly questionable claim that raised a red flag in my mind. He referenced the alleged financial commitment made by The Greenville Independent School District to help pay for his proposed $15 million taxpayer funded YMCA.
Applaud Court’s return to interpretive sanity
I applaud the Supreme Court’s return to Constitutional interpretive sanity in its recent finding in favor of Hobby Lobby and other closely held companies, to decline to pay for certain medications that they believe violate their religious beliefs.
Take care of children crossing over border
The beautiful little Hispanic children coming across the border from Mexico and South America…
Not too late to stop proposed YMCA center
n your Wednesday edition, reporter Brad Kellar briefly touched on the comments of Dr. Jerry Ransom at Tuesday’s city council meeting.
Perkins should abstain from YMCA vote
What if you were a judge? What if you were also Board President of a non profit organization?
Say no to YMCA on Tuesday
An April 28, 2013 ad in the Herald Banner stated that the YMCA/Event Center bond would only add an additional 2.5 cents to the Greenville property tax rate.
When I moved back to Greenville after living 17 years in South Texas, I took the advice of my friend, Dr. Bill Thorn, who advised me to become an expert in some field. It didn’t matter what.
Freedom of religion
Texas Constitution and the YMCA
Thanks to Park & Rec
Thank you Kimber Patterson, Brett Quarles and the staff of Greenville Parks and Recreation for the outstanding job you do for our community.
- More Letters to the editor Headlines
- Health services kudos