By AMBER POMPA
The Greenville YMCA building will be celebrating 50 years of dedicated service this March.
The building, which was dedicated March 18, 1962, will celebrate its birthday by inviting back the surviving members of the board of directors who work so hard to make the facility a reality, along with the families of those board members no longer with us. This is in addition to the public, current board members and former and current staff members.
“We’re looking to celebrate the foresight that these individuals had to bring a YMCA to our community, in addition to recognizing former board members and staff who have helped make the Y what it is today,” said Kelly Gaudreau, executive director/CEO of the Greenville YMCA. “The event will be held at 2:30 p.m. 50 years to the day of the building’s dedication.”
The idea behind bringing a YMCA to Greenville sprouted from the mind of the late Col. John H. Miller, who wrote to the Dallas YMCA inquiring about the possibility of bringing such a facility to Greenville in early 1956.
At that time, several members of the community were busy drumming up excitement and support for the project and it was learned that the Greenville Youth Center was interested in making their building available to the new YMCA.
It wasn’t long before a temporary board of directors was in place and a goal to raise $16,457 was set by the building committee, headed by Dr. F. L. Young, who served as drive chairman.
A total of 240 membership campaign workers launched out on the finance drive and in its last days, sadly fell short of its goal.